SOLVED RE: renumbering merged documents

Subject: SOLVED RE: renumbering merged documents
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:02:57 +0100

I asked what criteria everyone uses to determine whether to start a document
as 0.1 or 1.0.

People who use the x.x system generally use it the same way as I do: 0.x is
a draft; 1.0, 2.0 are for major releases where, for example, something has
changed in the product; and 1.x, 1.y is for minor releases, such as a
textual change that doesn't change the content.

Some of the released 0.x documents I'm working with were written by someone
who still works here. When I had a chance today I asked him about his
numbering system. There was no grand plan: apparently releasing them as 0.x
was an oversight or just something that happened. It's not a huge issue, but
at least the mystery is cleared up.

Thanks for your input.

elizabeth

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com