Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:26:52 -0700 (PDT)

John Posada wrote:
> ...be able to schedule a 10am meeting with the project
> management people and have an intelligent conversation
> with them on their turf, hold a lunch meeting with the
> DBAs and understand their requirments at an IT level,
> have a 3pm meeting with the CFO and discuss ROIs for
> the upcoming project with her, then gather the writers
> at 5pm and discuss whether the upcoming project should
> comnform to InfoMapping methodologies (the CEO snd his big
> ideas) or not, then a 6pm meeting with the XML developers
> to start the development of the documentation schemas.
> Between meetings? start creating a draft of the TOC for the
> part of the document set you'll be writing.

Ackk! You're trying to turn salt-of-the-earth tech writers into middle
managers! There's already a perfectly good PMI certificate for that.
Although I must admit, that does sound like a lovely day of chatting
and hanging out. :-)

So many man-hours spent in meetings! Only the largest corporations who
are publicly subsidized in hundreds of devious ways would be able to
afford this. My smaller clients would consider that a lost day of work.

I'd rather get up early, check my email from home, send out a few
emails planning and coordinating the day's activities, then go to my
desk all day and get some work done.

Mike O.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com