Putting printable page numbers on a PDF

Subject: Putting printable page numbers on a PDF
From: "Inbar, Paul" <paul -dot- inbar -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 12:16:02 +0300

Hi all,

I have a lengthy PDF document that was created using Acrobat 5's web
capture tool. The pages are not numbered. Does anyone know of a way to
put numbers on the pages, so that if someone prints the PDF it will have
page numbers? One of the web capture options is to include headers and
footers that have information about which file html file was captured
and how many pages it was, but the PDF is a compilation of many web
pages, so the footer numbering, which resets after each page captured,
is not too useful.

I looked around the web for an answer to this, and I got the impression
that perhaps the only solution is a commericially available tool I saw
that "stamps" the pages with numbers, but I thought that perhaps someone
from our community might have come across some other method. Any
thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com