RE: xml tool questions

Subject: RE: xml tool questions
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:53:22 -0700

Dear Devdra,

To summarize, you want
* reuse
* easy customization
* easy translation
* multiple output formats for the same information

You implement reuse with a variety of approaches, but the key one is
management buy-in. Having your head of tech pubs say it's a "good idea"
is not sufficient.

I think that easy customization demands content management more than
XML. Of course, since XML is a text format, you can do content
management much more easily than with .fm files!

XML lends itself to easy translation. I've seen "translation" mentioned
as one of the main arguments for using XML. I happen to have a
background in internationalization and localization, so I agree!

Multiple output forms for the same information is easy to do with XML,
but XML is not the only source format that can do it. Also, multiple
output formats don't "magically" come when you use XML.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.