Re: Visio Stencils for electrical and mechanical components?

Subject: Re: Visio Stencils for electrical and mechanical components?
From: "Amanda A" <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:04:59 -0700

I hired a draftsman to do the Solidworks for some prototypes we finalized. I am also having him do the assembly instructions... you know the ones that show all the parts and screws, etc that go into a component in a exploded view.

What do you guys think of Netzoom? They give you port level details... It is tempting because we piggyback onto existing stuff from other manufacturers and they will do custom diagrams for you, which then all the other manufacturers can buy from them as well.

The pre-made diagrams for the component parts per manufacturer are great, but since we make our own parts, we need to be able to create our components from scratch with fans, ports, etc.

http://www.netzoomuniversal.com

I found a few trade articles on it, this one is the most helpful:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-1035-1051832.html

The digital photos I took just look so cheesy... And this goes out to marketing and entertainment so there needs to be a little slick factor.

Amanda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Neufeld"

I haven't tried these. I make my own stencils as I go along. I don't see why you'd need to ever hire an illustrator except where you absolutely need a 3D or perspective illustration. Most of the time I find a basic 2D drawing in Visio is easiest and best for a cabling diagram. I find that going for a fancy looking 3D drawing distracts from the clarity of the cable routing, not to mention being difficult to maintain.

I try to get the CAD drawings from the mechanical designer of the product, and then import them into Visio as a background layer. I then trace over the important bits I want in my illustration. Re-using the elements from the CAD drawing takes more hassle it seems...

If you can't get any CAD drawings. you can take a digital photo of the back panel (take it from as far back as possible to minimize perspective errors). Import the digital photo as a background and trace over the important bits...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com