Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!

Subject: Re: The future of tech comm: podcasting? -- YES!
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:34:49 -0500

Bruce,

One small quibble. The "biggest" picture is the one created in the
imagination. The largest screen is small compared to that.

Many years ago, I heard a commercial for the Radio Advertising Bureau
by the comedy team of Bob and Ray. It began with full sound effects of
a group of helicopters approaching a stadium in which there was a
baseball game in progress. Bob and Ray played announcers, who
described the helicopters approaching, with a large item slung beneath
them. As it drew even closer, they exclaimed "Why, it's a giant can of
whipped cream!"

All of a sudden, there was a "whoosh" that slowly drowned out the
crowd sound entirely--ending with a lone helicoper that came and
"plopped" (sound effect again) an enormous cherry on top.

Then, the sound effects stopped suddenly--and Bob remarked "Imagine
trying to do that on television!"

Video, in the end, is much more limited in scope than audio--which is
in turn more limited in scope than a printed page might be. As another
person put it, it's hard to really get the idea that a car is spacious
when all you can see is through a 27" screen.

With video, what I do like in software documentation are very brief
tutorials that demonstrate the operation of particularly significant
parts of the program. This is quite easy to create with any number of
tools; one of my favorites is Camtasia Studio.

David

On 8/12/05, Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net> wrote:

> You can't give the big picture in print as easily as you can in film,
> and you can't give detail in film as easily as you can in print -- it's
> as simple as that.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com