Help testing - how do you handle it?

Subject: Help testing - how do you handle it?
From: mearro -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:36:11 -0600

Right now, I'm the primary (usually only) person to review & test our Help
systems before they are released with our applications. Since I'm also the
Help author, this is far from an ideal situation. I haven't been able to
get someone else or another group to take on or even share this
responsibility.

This situation is pretty unique in my experience. In the past, I've been
able to get some kind of review process in place - even if it's just a
proof by another writer.

I think we've been lucky so far but as our Help becomes more complex,
there's more & more risk involved. Our latest & biggest Help system is
dynamic (topics display based on specific module and user privilege) and
supports customer white labelling. So, there are more complications, more
things to test, and (to be honest) more things that I can mess up on.

How do you handle your review & doc testing? Who reviews your Help? Who
reviews your documentation? Are you able to automate (and if so, how) the
Help testing? How do you test links? Does anyone "signoff" on the docs? If
you're part of a writing group - do you review each other's work?

Thanks,

Mary

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com