Re: MS Word 2000 Numbering Problem

Subject: Re: MS Word 2000 Numbering Problem
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:32:07 -0500

Beth,

Is there not an XML application for this purpose?

I believe what you describe is probably required by FDA regs of some
sort, and I would be surprised if it were not already incorporated in
XML.

The "latest and greatest" Word--either recently released or fairly
soon to be--is supposed to be able to deal with XML much better than
in the past. If so, it should be a fairly simple matter to find the
applicable standard dialect and incorporate it.

A description of various of these dialects currently in use and coming
into use is in a white paper at
http://www.fcg.com/research/serve-research.asp?rid=14 That paper is
slightly dated, as it was published in 2002; at present, there is a
growing interest within FDA to use the eCTD pharmaceutical submission
format. The DTD involved is now version 3.2, which is downloadable at
http://xml.coverpages.org/ICH-eCTD-DTDv32-dtd.html

The process for having the DTD and format of a submission validated is
described at http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/ersr/ectd.htm

In other words, for preparing submissions templates now, I would be
strongly tempted to go ahead and do the XML work, as this seems to be
the wave of the future. One very nice aspect of the eCTD is that the
same format is being developed also by European and Japanese
regulatory bodies. This may wind up saving millions of dollars and a
great deal of time for drug submissions internationally.

The Cover Pages also list several other resources for other, related
XML standards for other purposes.

David

On 8/15/05, Beth Brooks <beth -dot- brooks -at- patmedia -dot- net> wrote:

> Hi, All!
>
> A quick but heartfelt thanks to those of you who responded to my earlier questions
> about MS word. Althought I'm still trying to figure out why users can only use the
> spots I set up using Macrobutton NoMacro when the hidden text is
> showing, your combined wisdom helped me a great deal.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com