Re: Manuals in InDesign

Subject: Re: Manuals in InDesign
From: "Amanda A" <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:44:23 -0700

Sure... Our product's documentation goes out to entertainment and marketing people. With a price point for each system over 100k, they want the documentation to look flashy and exciting. I can't figure out how to make it look flashy in framemaker so since I need to buy a license for something anyway, I thought CS2 and hiring a graphic artist might be a good solution. I know the individual programs except for InDesign, but don't have the artistic talent. The manuals will run about 80-120 pages though.

I hate the idea of making documentation flashy, but I do understand the reasoning and have seen other companies "throw away docs". I saved my HR packet from Disney for years. It was a design straight out of an art student's portfolio.

I just cringe at the idea of giving up the text exclusion capabilities of Framemaker.

Amanda

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Gold" <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>