Re: Clarification on "word bloat"

Subject: Re: Clarification on "word bloat"
From: Lisa Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:30:22 -0500

Arroxane,
One area where the proper use of styles will make a great deal of difference to your readers is in the area of accessibility. At least in HTML, screen readers differentiate between heading styles. The absence of styles applied in an appropriate hierarchy can make documentation more confusing. Many writers/shops begin docs in Word and move them into HTML.

As for perception of differences between manually applied styling and using styles, you may have readers who notice subtle differences that would result, such spacing between paragraphs of different styles. You could also end up with inconsistent behavior, such as headings not staying with the following paragraphs. In both cases, it could perhaps affect the user's perception of your professionalism and be a distraction.

Lisa

arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

Hey all,

<snip>
As for my first question, I worded it poorly. I was interested on the usabilty side and received many responses on the TW/SME side. But, thank you all very much for your input.

Thanks again.

Arroxane (No, my name doesn't mean anything) Ullman

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com