RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Victoria Wroblewski" <vwroblewski -at- bridgeport-networks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:36:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Byfield
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:03 PM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

> Watching various software questions being asked on this list, I keep
wondering why so few list members consider open source software when
evaluating tools?

Maybe it's the fact there aren't training courses or $75 manuals that
you can purchase for them. (Obviously, something that requires you
spend a lot of money just to learn it must be better, right?) YOU often
have to figure out how to use the tool, rather than being TOLD how to
use it by someone else. Ignoring the fact a tech writer *should* jump
at the chance to dive right in and play around with a tool, sometimes
based on deadlines, the time you'd need to learn it just isn't in the
schedule.

Also, there are many people who have workplace policies about only using
approved tools, or not being able to freely install and uninstall
software to try it out. Or even if they might be able to install
something, they just might be scared to. (The mind flashes to some
malicious code in the program that brings down the whole network, and
it's all the TW's fault!)

And there are probably many, many more reasons but that's all I have
left in me at the end of the workday....

- Victoria

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com