Re: Opening multiple instances of Word

Subject: Re: Opening multiple instances of Word
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:24:20 -0700

Brian Gordon wrote:

A coworker wants Word to open a new instance of Word
every time he opens a doc. My version of Word does
this automatically, but his simply opens a new
document on top of the other one. (He is a developer
and has two computer screens.)

That is, I have multiple Word programs open, as shown
at the bottom of the screen; he has only one.

I think you'll find that you really have only one instance of Word running.

It's more convenient to have multiple buttons on the Windows task bar, and the Task Manager even shows each document as a separate task. (I'm talking Word 2000 on Windows XP here, in case it matters.)

But if you look on the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager, you'll see WINWORD.EXE listed only once. If you end that task, you close all open documents.

That wouldn't happen if they were truly separate instances of Word running.

--David

P.S. Earlier versions of Windows showed only a single button on the
Windows task bar, no matter how many .doc files were open.
Is he running XP? Just a thought...

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com