RE: Is InDesign replacing Pagemaker?

Subject: RE: Is InDesign replacing Pagemaker?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:53:59 -0400

Imac said...

> >> A general question to the list. Is InDesign focused on
> >> replacing Pagemaker?
> >>
> >> We have some marketing material that needs updating and
> >> I'm wondering if InDesign is the best way to go, or should
> >> I just continue with Pagemaker? Does anyone have a preference
> >> for either? I'll be incorporating tables/images/etc. into these
> >> files. I find PM difficult with tables.
>
> Stick with Pagemaker! Use what you know to get the job done, because
you
> will be efficient. (If you're like me, deadlines come up all too
quickly
> and there's no time to relearn everything and get a project done at
the
> same time.) Pagemaker won't fail to work
> tomorrow just because something newer and better has come along. It
> won't stop working because it's "old tech". Sure, you can get a new
tool
> when the budget allows, but I'd wait on it. After all, maybe something
> else will be the tool to learn when the project is done. :)

At my old job I used PM extensively and InDesign a little. In this job
I use InDesign all the time and don't have access to PM. I prefer
InDesign, but Imac makes a very good point. On my system at home I have
older versions of software bought through the years: InDesign 2.0,
Illustrator 10, and PhotoShop 7. Those programs work together fairly
well, but they're not nearly as smoothly integrated as the Creative
Suite Premier 2 I have at work. My point is this: if you can't upgrade
_all_ your software at once, there's probably a good justification for
continuing with "what brung ya to the dance" for the time being. There
is a learning curve between PM and InDesign. I didn't find it all that
steep (maybe that was due to the Adobe "Classroom in a Book" resource I
purchased), but then again I was puttering about with it at home and not
trying to write an essential document on a tight deadline.

So in a perfect world I would advocate that you push for the budget to
upgrade to the entire Adobe Suite, buy an older copy for your home PC
and get a good 3rd party resource to play around with it at a
comfortable pace before being forced to use it on a daily basis. Then
when you do make the transition at work, you won't have the stress of
having to learn new software in crisis mode.

That's just my $0.01417386592, adjusted for inflation...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com