RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: RE: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 11:28:42 -0700

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 10:52 -0700, John Posada wrote:

> That's exactly what rubs me the wrong way. To the vocal fanatics in
> the OS camp, its a knee-jerk reaction that any criticism of an OS
> software is a criticism of the OS philosophy...and lets face it, to
> them, the philosphy IS purely anti-MS. It isn't software...it's
> religion.

I'm not responsible for the fanatics, but I almost feel like apologizing
for giving them a chance to attack.

I write for web sites dedicated to free and open source software, yet
I've come under their fire. In fact, I've been accused of being
anti-open source and anti-business for the same article, which is a
surreal and unsettling experience, to say the least.

Advocating the same thing as the fanatics is rather like being a serious
reader of science fiction and dealing with Trekkies. Here you are,
trying to talk about writers like Ursula Le Guin and Kim Stanley
Robinson, and, to the public, science fiction is people with pointy ears
and tacky uniforms and plastic blasters. In the same way, here's
something that I think is useful and worthwhile, and many people think
it's about over-zealous behavior and anti-Microsoft sentiment.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Navigator, navigator, rise up and be strong,
The morning is here and there's work to be done,
With your pick and your shovel and your old dynamite,
To shift a few tons of this earthly delight."
- The Pogues

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com