Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?

Subject: Re: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?
From: "Brian Gordon" <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 10:54:58 -0700

Bruce - I agree with all your points. It is possible a lack of familiarity is holding me (and others) back. However, you glossed over points made by those concerned about their current and future contracts. If I recommend "free" software and it takes a long time to learn, or doesn't perform as desired, etc., then no more contracts with that company for me. Thus, I go the safe route, at times.

I want to be polite about this, and start a discussion rather than a
flame war. Still, part of me wants to ask: Where is everybody's
intellectual curiosity? Their wish to learn more about their job, to
make themselves more employable, to help their employers find a better
way? Their efforts to avoid being left behind in the knowledge needed to
do their jobs? Their concern about the economic and political background
of their employment? Their concern about basic human rights? About
ending the divide between developed and non-developed nations?

For me, considering free and open source software is about all these
things.

This point I consider fascinating. It is, however, the same plea that every person interested in improving the world makes, including me: If only people would take the time to look into X, the world would be a better place, and surely you want that? For example, I am vegetarian, and the benefits to the environment, individual health, soaring medical costs, individual farmers, etc., etc., of people even eating LESS meat, never mind going all-out veg, is staggering.

Now, that said, I also recognize that we are all *bombarded* by people claiming that their way of life will improve the world. What do you devote your time and energy to? OS? Islam? Vegetarianism? Helping the homeless? Raising a good family? We all have only so much time and energy. I do not get paid to evaluate and learn new software, for the most part. Therefore, learning new stuff means less time for other things that are important to me. So, yes, much as I loathe MS Word and would love to switch to Open Office, for example, that will have to wait until I have a less deadline-pressured project. And then I'll have to worry about all those legacy projects in Word, and the fact that I'll be creating documents many others may not be able to edit.

All the best,
Brian

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com