Re: Syntax preferences

Subject: Re: Syntax preferences
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:00:15 -0400

Not everything is so simple. I've been a professional "shooter" since 1968 and not all cameras are the same (we're talking 35 mm SLRs here). Back in the 60s, the focusing rings on some Japanese cameras turned in the opposite direction from German made cameras. (I don't remember how the American made cameras focused as I was on an extended travel adventure courtesy of our Uncle Sam and by the time I got home, I already had a complete Minolta system.) My newest camera, a Canon auto everything, does indeed focus as you indicate (when I use the manual focus function); however, IMHO, a simple illustration is the best way to help the reader understand how to focus a camera lens regardless of the reader's first, second or third language. I learned how to operate my old SRT-101 that way...looking at the pictures in the Japanese manual that came with it. If you take your example and combine it with a picture of the camera with call outs where the focusing ring is located, then a couple of pictures with a photog focusing on something far away and something close up, then you've pretty well covered all the bases.

Just my 2-cents.

Al

Peter Gold wrote:

As a life-long photographer, I'd like to suggest a change in the example, for accuracy:

To adjust focus:

Turn focus ring left to focus on objects closer to you.
Turn focus ring right to focus on objects further from you.

To adjust syntax to suit your preferences for writing style and audience:

Write it as you like, just focus on stating the facts of the process correctly!

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com