RE: meeting minutes--

Subject: RE: meeting minutes--
From: "Partridge, Robert" <Robert -dot- Partridge -at- au -dot- unisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:59:06 +1000

Hi Peggy,

I wonder if you are trying to get too much detail in the minutes? They
shouldn't be a word for word transcription of the meeting, more a kind
of list of topics covered and resolutions. For example our meeting
minutes go something like:

Project progress
+ timescales were discussed. Project on plan apart from John. John
waiting for input from engineers.
+ Unplanned Christmas outtage will affect access to developers and
impact deliverables. Dates are ...

Issues
+ Issue with RoboHelp EOLing discussed. Peter to investigate
alternatives.
+ Salary reviews discussed. Each writer to complete personal assessment
before 24th July 2006. Salary assessments complete by August 2006.

That sort of thing. A one sentence statement of the issue, and a short
resolution. I can take that down freehand. It's easiest when there is a
set agenda and you can just annotate the agenda with the resolutions for
each entry.

My advice then? Don't rely on recordings. Make sure there is a firm
agenda. Take short notes to prompt you (even if recording this can save
much time). Confirm at the end of each item that you've noted the
resolution correctly ("so, to recap, Joan you are investigating lunch
destinations for Friday, Peter you are investigating budget for our team
lunch, right?"). That way you make sure you've got the highlights.

Hope that helps,

Rob Partridge

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com