Re: meeting minutes--

Subject: Re: meeting minutes--
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:30:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Peggy,

if you just have to note the results, I suggest the following:
- Keep recording to have a safety net.
- Get the agenda before the meeting and note any changes to it.
- Learn MindMapping and use one sheet of paper per agenda item until you have a feeling on what
items can be put together on one sheet. Exeption: all formalia (start, end, participants) on one
sheet right from the beginning.

I recommend MindMapping because it is easier if the discussion is not strictly linear/disciplined.
If someone picks up a question/statement that has been made 5 minutes ago, you really can get in
trouble noting it linearly. With a MindMap, you simply add another branch to the original
question/statement.
You can also develop a color code if this helps you: black for agenda and chair, green for
questions, blue for statements, red for items not closed.
If you go with this, always remember that a MindMap is something that _only you_ need to be able
to understand, it's your external memory. So use symbols, abbreviations, colors, draw arrows,
include boxes with verbatim statements, use footnotes - anything that makes it easier for you.

And a last tip: MindMap or conventional notes, you can always jot down the counter number/time of
your recorder if there is something you didn't get or want to quote.

HTH,

Jens

<zitiere wer="Lucero, Peggy">

> I started my present job at the beginning of May '05. Part of my job is
> to capture the meeting minutes for the team's weekly meetings.
> *I am trying to learn how many other tech writers have this kind of a
> responsibility and how they do it.*
> Further,
> I work on a Govt. contract. These meetings get very involved and a
> number of the key participants talk very fast.
> Initially I was trying to capture these events manually (and no, I don't
> know shorthand.) It was impossible.
>
> I asked boss if I could use a recorder. She said ok. I've been
> transcribing minutes since then via a 10 year old Sony microcassette
> recorder (that is my personal recording device brought in from home).
> The recorder is old and the tapes are not really recording well anymore.
>
> Contract has not yet received our 2nd round of funding and so no $ to
> upgrade to a more modern solution.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deal with this?
> This is very time intensive as I have to use the playback button a lot
> during the transcription of the weekly meetings.
> My boss actually keeps telling me that I rely too much on the recorder
> and that I should go back to doing it manually-I entirely DISAGREE on
> this. She brings this up often!!! : (
> I have just bought a iRiver gadget that someone on this list
> recommended. Have not unpacked it yet, but, it is a combo digital voice
> recorder and MP3 player. As I understand this approach, I will use the
> iRiver to record the meeting and then plug it into my laptop and have
> the meeting minutes transcription done via the computer??
> I may be dreaming again here...
> These meeting minutes are sometimes very time intensive to get into a
> document. Meetings are typically 1 hr and several of the participants
> are on the speaker phone (remote in another state) and one has a heavy
> accent and one speaks really low.
> Thoughts are most welcomed. Thank You.
>
> Peggy Lucero

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com