Re: Text Flow in Quark Express 5.0 (MAC OS)

Subject: Re: Text Flow in Quark Express 5.0 (MAC OS)
From: "Chris Christner" <cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:42:13 -0600

Hi Rich,

The red Xs mean that you're pasting into a textblock that isn't linked to
others, so the overflowing text has no place to go.

Without knowing why the template was designed in this way, I hesitate to
suggest fixes that might mess things up, so make sure you work on a copy,
not the original Quark file.</disclaimer>

Select the link tool (I don't have the OS X version but it's a chain link
icon on the OS 9 version) and click on the text block where you're pasting
text. If the block is linked (unlikely) there'll be an arrow pointing to
the block it's linked to. If there's no link, click on a box that should
receive the overflowed text. Repeat as needed to accommodate all text.

Good luck,
Chris
TopTechWriter.US
http://www.toptechwriter.us
Award-winning technical writing and illustration services.

> Hello,
>
> I am filling in for a colleague who is out on maternity leave. She uses
> QuarkXpress 5.0 for the Macintosh to desktop publish our documents. I
> have little experience with both Quark Express and the Mac OS and I
> cannot figure out text flow in QuarkXpress. I am copying text from one
> Quark document into another (our new documentation format) and when I
> paste a large amount of text into the new document, I get a small red
> box with an "x" which indicates that the pasted text does not fit in the
> text frame on the page. My question is, how do I get Quark to flow the
> text onto the next page? I tried the online help and the reference
> guide, but no help. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com