RE: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...

Subject: RE: Recommended apps to learn as a new tech writer...
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:59:39 -0700

Dear Andy,

Welcome aboard! Four years ago I was in exactly the same situation. I
don't know what field you want focus on, if any. In the computer biz out
here in Silicon Valley land, we use FM and RoboHelp a lot. I use
Dreamweaver a lot, as well.

You may also want to learn a scripting language like Python, and bone up
on as much HTML and XML as you can. These can help you solve tech
writing problems.

Good luck in your TW certificate. I did that too, and it was really
worth the time/effort/money. I only wish that I had paid *more*
attention in class! Always take the viewpoint that you'll be the *only*
tech writer wherever you end up, and learn accordingly. You never know
what will happen. I was at a big company while I was studying, so I
assumed that everyone would be done for me. Then I was laid off and
ended up as the lone tech writer!

As a student, you can get discounts on SW. Look at
www.creationengine.com.

Join the STC (they have student rates) to make contacts. All tech
writers seem to be willing to help and mentor, and you get lots of jobs
through contacts.

I know at least one tech writer out in Research Triangle. If you want a
mentor/contact, I can ask him about it.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.