Re: PC naming? Help!

Subject: Re: PC naming? Help!
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:42:18 -0400

JBlom -at- ricoh-europe -dot- com wrote:

> We are searching for a word to denote a particular computer on the network
> that a solution is installed to (to watch over 1-1000 printer devices). I
> have had votes here for Host PC and Control PC ...

As Shankara R says, that a PC is hosting this function is probably
not germane. There's a 'process' (a 'service' or 'daemon' [say
"demon"]) running on a computer somewhere and doing this job. It's
a 'server' of some kind.

But wait. There's a temptation to think of a 'server' as a physical
piece of hardware, a particular 'computer' or 'PC' dedicated to a
task. But the 'server' is really just an application, running on a
physical computer (or several) that may be (probably is) running
other 'servers', too.

Yes, there's a server admin who happens to be sitting at that box
right now, using it as an appliance to write a regrettable email to
his future ex-girlfriend, while all the 'servers' running on the
same box whir in the background.

Unless you're writing about having to do something to the third
computer from the right on the east wall, then "printer server" or a
similar 'virtual' construct is the truth of the matter. If
possible, it's better not to imply that it's a certain physical box,
because that's not usually how things work.

Your product seems to be a server, and a server is a process, not a
computer or PC.

Welcome to The Matrix.

Now, if a particular boxen really *is* dedicated to this one service
only (you work for Ricoh?), maybe you can reduce things to a certain
keyboard, monitor and seat in the case of a given implementation. I
doubt that's the reality of the product generally, though.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com