RE: Technical writing in the legal field

Subject: RE: Technical writing in the legal field
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:13:44 -0500

I'm a freelancer in the technical communication world (writing, editing,
illustration). I also translate (Chinese, German, and Spanish to
English). And I do a few other communication-related things. I'm ok with
doing many different apparently unrelated things. Most people would not
be ok with this, though.
Now, as to the legal stuff. Attorneys, I think, generally are pretty
smart people who specialize in understanding and using legal language.
The writing of legal writings is not necessarily very good. However, it
always has to be understandable to other attorneys.
Writers specialize in understanding and using written language.
Technical writers specialize in understanding and using written language
as it relates to some aspect of technology.
A long time ago (before I was in this profession), I worked in some
law firms as a temporary employee.
I think that some large law firms do hire people to manage parts of
their computer setups.Sometimes these people were technical writers.
Some years ago there was an Intercom article about this.
Hope this helps. It looks like your friend wants somehow to enter two
different worlds at the same time. I'd say she ought to stick to writing
and technical writing.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc

Is there anyone on the list who works in the legal arena? I met a young
woman today who is thinking about writing as a profession, is interested
in law, and is wondering what sort of preparation that might involve and
what the work is like. I've strictly been a technology and business
process person, so I'm not sure what advice to give about work in the
legal area...

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com