OpenOffice.org (2) [was: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?]

Subject: OpenOffice.org (2) [was: Why Aren't Open Source Tools Being Considered?]
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:39:47 +1000

On 18 Aug, Bonnie Granat wrote,

Back in the winter of 2005, I volunteered to edit one of the user guides,
the guide for Writer. The book was a disaster and was not ready for anything
but a thorough developmental edit, reorganization, and complete rethinking
of how the features would be presented, not to mention the actual
descriptions of the features and the procedures. I went into considerable
detail about how it was not at all ready for editing (needed developmental
work on the most basic level) and needed to be entirely redone. Also, the
logic of the organization and the manner of explaining the feature set was
so wrong that I almost didn't have the heart to put into words my opinions.
I managed to do so without hurting their feelings and in the end, they
profusely thanked me. They then asked if I'd do a similar review for another
book that was said to be ready for copyediting, but I got bogged down on
their Web site and just finally gave up in frustration.

Bonnie is referring to the Writer Guide being produced by
OOoAuthors. The other editor and I did indeed very much
appreciate Bonnie's comments, though we won't be able to
implement many of her suggestions in the first release of the
book... the collective nature of the project doesn't allow the
editors to implement the sorts of decisions that we would
otherwise make, even if we had the time and energy to do so.

I'm really sorry to hear that the OOoAuthors website defeated
you, Bonnie. I really wish we could have the benefit of your
critical analysis applied to the other books. I'd also love to
have you hack the Writer Guide into shape. But reading your later
notes, I see you didn't like using OOo either, so I can
understand your lack of enthusiasm for overcoming the
frustrations of the website and continuing with the project.

BTW, I'm not sure if you received some of my correspondence on
the subject. There was a time when my outgoing email was going
missing, and I suspect some notes to you were among those lost,
since I didn't get a response.

Regards, Jean

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com