Re: User Manual question

Subject: Re: User Manual question
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 11:54:21 -0700

Bold usually makes for a polka-dotted page texture. Quoting the words gets too "busy." If you have control over the content of the names in the interface, and can make them all have initial caps, you can just represent them that way in body font and be done with it. You MIGHT want to use the convention of showing a gif copy of the button in the nearby margin as a visual reminder, but that can get tricky if you are writing for an internationalized product where those graphics need to be re-shot for each language.

If you must use fonting, it's best to use a distinctive font of the same general gray-weight as the body font that will _subtly_ show that the string of words is a name.

--Guy K. Haas
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

Lucero, Peggy wrote:

When writing a User Manual, throughout, as an example, we are saying:

"Clicking the sign-in button takes you to the _________"
I'm beginning to think that the 'exact name' of one of the application's
buttons ought to be bolded, put in quotes, or something, to make it more
communicative/identifiable in the text.
Is there a style industry standard for this? Thanks,

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com