RE: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans

Subject: RE: Plans for rebuilding New Orleans
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 11:30:59 -0400

Joe Campo asked...

> Are you perhaps a landscape architect? Your suggestion might be an
> incredible solution, especially when it seems the entire city is going
> to have to be pretty much rebuilt.
>
> I'm wondering if officials would consider such an innovative solution
> that accepts the fact that nature will eventually exceed any barrier
we
> try to build to stop it. If instead they plan to let water become a
much
> greater part of the landscape, and centralize housing/businesses to
> allow design of huge retention basins (that are normally parks and
play
> areas), that might be a solution to help make people feel safe in
> returning eventually.

To answer the first question, no. I'm just repeating a few ideas I heard
and read last week tossed about on various news sources and web sites
reporting about the tragedy.

To answer your second question, my gut tells me no (and it's a pretty
big gut, so I always listen when it speaks). The reason--doing something
like that makes far too much sense and is far too practical, meaning
that when you get two or more bureaucrats, their assistants, their
lackeys, their pandering special interests, and the industry captains,
labor groups, organized crime, and other elements that want to put
corrupting bribe money in their pockets it will never happen. Not that I
ever doubt the integrity of anyone who is ever elected to any sort of
political office. I think they're all above reproach. Really.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com