RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?

Subject: RE: MS Word: Spacing before, after, or both?
From: Peter Gold <peter -at- knowhowpro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:10:07 -0500

FrameMaker is the only tool I know whose paragraph spacing before/after isn't additive. The larger space "wins," and the smaller space is ignored, at least for positive space. If I ever played with negative spaces, I can't remember the outcome.

InDesign does offer space before/after, like the others, i.e., additive.

For me, FM's approach makes the most sense, because you can think of the spacing effect you want, regardless of the combined spaces your paragraph sequences are likely to encounter, when planning paragraph formats, when working with new content, or when revising.

HTH

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices

From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>

A question I'd like to put out to the group related to Brian's is this:
does anyone know of any funky ways to say "give me X room before and Y
room after this paragraph style EXCEPT when the NEXT/PREVIOUS style used
is STYLE_A"? I'd be curious if Word, InDesign, FrameMaker, or any of
the other popular page layout programs folks on this list use do that.
I've never had cause to do that in InDesign so I haven't looked for the
capability. It might be something already built in.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com