Re: best approach to learning HTML...

Subject: Re: best approach to learning HTML...
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:56:12 -0400

Hiking Nut asked...

Can someone give me their opinion on this? I've heard from a few
people that as a tech writer, it's good to know HTML. My question is
this - is it better to start off learning how to code manually, then
start using a "real" HTML editor like Dreamweaver, or is it best to
just use something like Dreamweaver from the start?

thanks,

Andy

Some of the best classes I ever took back in my college days (other than Homebrewing 101/102) were programming classes, cause they taught me both how to approach a project and how to understand code (variables, subroutines, arrays, etc.). Although I am a hard-core Dreamweaver advocate, I always use the split screen and for the most part work in the code section. I learned HTML before Dreamweaver (and actually before Claris Home Page or MS FrontPage), but I find that the split screen approach is the easiest and quickest way now for me to learn the new twists and turns of web design. It allows me to see the results of my coding almost immediately (and make the necessary repairs when it's screwed up). I also keep several "Bibles" on my bookshelf, including Dreamweaver, HTML, XML, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Al

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography
Office: 802-658-3140

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com