RE: Fw: change in payroll status

Subject: RE: Fw: change in payroll status
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:46:39 -0400

Rosie said...

> If you are in Arizona you may only get straight time for overtime for
> technical writing, though. Most of my contracts as a technical writer
> in Arizona did not qualify for time and a half. Only when I've worked
> through California consulting agencies have I obtained time and a half
> for OT.
>
> Rosie A. Wilcox

If you are a contractor, California is liable to be the exception rather
than the rule. From what I understand, it's pretty much standard that if
you are an independent contractor (pay reported via 1099 instead of W2)
you generally get paid "straight" time for invoiced hours whether you
work 25 or 55 hours in a week.

Since Anon is a "real" employee and not some denizen of the "twilight
zone" between an employee and a small business owner (i.e., a
contractor) I would expect that unless the employer wants to run afoul
of Federal employment laws, he or she would be paid time-and-a-half for
hours over 40 now that the status is "non-exempt" instead of "exempt."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com