Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?

Subject: Re: Spinoff: Using Linux for work?
From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:18:08 +0200

On Thursday 15 September 2005 19:58, rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com wrote:
> To which I wonder:
> Where do people find time to be involved in projects that don't pay bills?
> Does everyone but me budget their Saturdays for learning new software or
> contributing to OS projects, or something?

You want a job, you earn it. The way to get a job in the FOSS world is to get
involved. Show your metal and skills. Very few people with jobs in the Open
Source world were hired because of the nice CV and blue blood employment
history. Most of them got to were they are through contribution,
participation and collaboration within the Open Source Community.

Getting a paying gig is easier if you can show what you gave away. Strange,
now really. In a previous email I said, "different rules"
Working in Open Source is working in 'gift culture' it's not want you own that
is important, but what you give away. The more you give away, the better your
standing in the community.

I give away countlessly and to date I can say that what I gave came back many
fold. It's hard to wrap your brain around it, but not for nothing I send
people to:
http://www.cluetrain.org/
http://www.opensource.org/

Notice, I have not once spoken about the software or tools used when
developing for FOSS. Get the mind right and the rest will follow. Focus on
playing the game and the money will take care of itself.
--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com