Re: structured or unstructured FM

Subject: Re: structured or unstructured FM
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:29:42 -0500

"Waste time learning"???

You won't, unless you are unsuccessful in understanding what you are learning.

While the documentation universe seems to be continuing the march
toward structured information, many shops have no present plans to
transition their existing doc base in the near future.

In addition, many of the same skills are used in both.

There will quite likely be many legacy docs for some years to come.
For example, in one contract, the work was ostensibly being done in
structured Frame--but there were still legacy docs in Interleaf
Publisher. I hadn't used Interleaf before, but found a book about it
in a local used book store and read it over a weekend--and was
productive in updating the legacy docs on Monday morning. Not as fluid
as I'd have been with more instruction, perhaps, but adequately versed
to do the work and get it turned around in a timely fashion.

The reason I could pick it up at least to that level in such a short
time was that I have "wasted my time" learning *many* computer
packages over many years--so I tend to catch on to the methods
relatively quickly when I add another one. In fact, I still pick up
packages from time to time just to learn them--even if they are now
little used. For example, I found a copy of Corel Ventura 8 on
closeout a year or so ago. I was happy to see that it has progressed a
great deal from the time many years ago when I used the original
Ventura versions when it was still a GEM application and before Xerox
screwed it up in trying to move it to Windows. In many ways, Ventura
is an extremely capable publishing app these days, but unfortunately
it has fallen largely out of favor.

At the moment, in the Windows environment, I am at least conversant
with FrameMaker, InDesign, Pagemaker, Interleaf, Quark, Ventura, and
Ragtime. I regard the time I have spent on any of them to be a
positive investment in my learning and not at all a "waste of time."

In Linux, I have been getting up to speed with Scribus.

When you consider graphics apps, there are few that I have not worked
in and none that would particularly bother me--again, a useful
background for any job I may take.

Currently, I have been working with various XML editors to increase my
understanding of structured writing outside of a rather artificial
environment like structured Frame.

I mention all of these to say that you should never consider your
investment in learning a "waste of time"--and you will never stop
having to learn no matter how long you remain in this profession. I
suggest you get used to it sooner rather than later.

When I have been in the position to hire new tech writers, one of the
principal traits I have looked for is not so much mastery of a given
tool, but a skill and an interest in learning new tools and methods.
That kind of flexibility is over the long haul much more worthwhile, I
believe, than simply knowing a given tool.

David

On 9/16/05, Hiking Nut <carolinahikingnut -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> My basic question is, "Is everything moving toward structured FM?" If
> so, should I bother learning unstructured FM? I don't want to waste
> time learning unstructured FM if it will soon be obsolete.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com