Re: User Manual par excellance

Subject: Re: User Manual par excellance
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

> I agree with Mike here. Don't waste time with fancy, involved
> intros or anything that detracts from what the manual is
> about--how to use your widget. That doesn't mean you can't be
> entertaining in your *tone*, but the focus should always be
> on the product.

Remember that not everyone knows everything about the product before
they use it for the first time. Theymay know nothing about it...they
weren't responsible for aquiring it, specing it, installing it,
defining it..it's there and they need to know how to use it.

Imagine...you come in from lunch and there is a manual on your desk.
You check your email and there is an email that says "We've installed
FrameMakker on your computer and we've uninstalled Word." That's it.

You've never heard of FM. What's the first thing you read? How to
create Books.

You don't know the FM model or what books mean to it. Sure...you
could start the chanpter explaining what a book is. You now know what
a book is, but you don't know how a book fits in to the FM approach.

I very much think any product manual has to have a section at the
beginning that puts the product in context before explaining the
purpose of each feature of the product.

Sometimes, it is necessary to frame the peoduct, give the user a feel
of the scope of the product, its purpose.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

"What do we want? More than
anybody else has."