Re: Nonprofit vs. Corporate work

Subject: Re: Nonprofit vs. Corporate work
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:47:28 -0400

On 9/21/05, A.H. <isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> I'm in NYC and going to graduate soon. I may be
> offered a job at the nonprofit where I'm interning as
> a technical writer. What is the difference--in salary,
> medical benefits, etc.-- between nonprofits and
> corporate companies?

I think it depends very heavily on the nonprofit in question, and the
corporation in question.
If you've got a writing gig with the Soros Foundation, I would imagine
that the pay and benefits might be rather lavish. Do some research
about the corporations that you are considering and compare their
salary and benefit packages to what you're likely to be offered where
you are currently.

For general industry salary information, the Society for Technical
Communication's annual salary survey is useful (if you are a member;
access is restricted to members only.) Salary.com has categories for
four different levels of Technical Writer, and allows you to specify
"organization type" in printing out a report; it's not free either,
but I don't recall it being ruinously expensive.

The conventional wisdom, stated broadly, is that nonprofits do not
generally pay as well as their commercial counterparts, but tend to
offer decent benefits and, overall, greater job security.

Some nonprofit environments, specifically academia, offer benefits
that may be of exceptional value to you, depending on your
situation--such as free educational benefits (tuition-free classes)
for yourself, and, sometimes, based on how long you've been there, for
family members/dependents as well.

Government jobs, which might be considered "nonprofits" as well, often
offer really excellent benefit packages, but are somewhat notorious
for being political minefields (again, these are *very* broad
generalities) and usually pay somewhat less than comparable jobs in
commercial industry.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
AOL IM: bcampbellnyc

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com