RE: Resume Services

Subject: RE: Resume Services
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:26:27 -0400

Chad said...

> Hey Whirlers,
>
> This might be a little bit of a silly question but...I am interested
> know
> if there is an advantage to having your resume professionally done. I
> think
> that I am quite capable of building one myself but I tend to think
that
> someone that does this for a living would be able to do a better job
> still.
> Maybe they would know better what key words to use to perk employers'
> interests? Maybe they would know what the new rage is for resume
format?

> If you have used a professional resume service and you were happy with
it,
> could you let me know who they are and what the ballpark cost would
be? I
> think that it may be worth it to me if the cost is reasonable.
Conversely
> if you have used a service and it was not to your liking, a warning
would
> be
> appreciated as well.
>
> This one *does* get a disclaimer --> I am very happy in my current
job
> but
> all the recent talk about corporate vs. small business and all the
> different
> things that could happen to one's position has made me realize that it
is
> little silly not to have an up-to-date and 'peerty' resume ready to
go!

> TIA everyone!
>
> -Chad

Chad,

Last year I decided I needed to make a job switch, but I didn't have
much success floating my resume out to various companies advertising for
TW (and some non-TW) positions in my area. Then a co-worker at my old
job who was also looking for work told me about the career resource
center at her community college.

I went in and they were able to offer me some advice on "tailoring" my
resume for the type of position I was seeking. They charged no fee for
this service, and after tuning my resume to their advice, I received
three invitations to interview for jobs within two weeks.

So before you go shell out lots of money for a professional resume
makeover, check with your local college or community college and see if
they offer such a service on campus. Chances are, even if they do not
offer these services at no charge, they will charge far less than the
fee a professional resume service might demand, and they might give you
advice that can help you tailor your resume as well or better than
someone who doesn't have as extensive knowledge of your job history as
you do.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com