Re: Linking to online help topic

Subject: Re: Linking to online help topic
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:31:34 -0400 (EDT)

--- "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> That's all nice, but it's irrelevent whether Bill's
> a goober or not.

Did I say I thought Bill was a goober or similar?

> sometimes we use red pens just
> because.

Really? Randomly? Sounds like it's a power thing?

> it's about your
> knowledge of your own domain, online help--then
> sure, you didn't know to
> provide that info. I expect people who are creating
> online help to be aware
> of such things, however.

Some of us have many 'domains,' domains that change
rapidly, and we are often required to learn new
domains at a moment's notice. Others are new to a
particular domain. So it's not always so easy to be
'master of our domain.' <g>

> Finally, if my red pen offends, tough, suck it up.

I agree, if I want your help, I must take it however
you provide it. Fortunately, I no longer work in an
environment full of people with this attitude. Note
that I am not passing judgement upon this attitude,
simply saying that I have found that it decreases the
learning rate, productivity, and overall enjoyment at
the job for most of those who must endure being told
by 'experts' to suck it up. Others seem to love it.

All the best,
Brian

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com