Re: Re: "Industry standard" for software user documentation?

Subject: Re: Re: "Industry standard" for software user documentation?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 15:58:45 -0400

In actuality, these standards are probably not the kind of thing
the original poster is looking for, because these standards are
more focused on the process for developing software
documentation rather than standards for the documentation
itself (i.e. the deliverable documentation products).

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:58:14 -0400

Actually, IEEE does have documentation standards. I was
asked to work on them several years ago but couldn't because
of personal issues. ISO also has documentation standards.
Specifically, there's ISO 18019, "Software and system
engineering ?Guidelines for the design and preparation
of user documentation for application software".

There is also a committee working on a whole new set of
ISO standards for documentation.

How does the saying go? ..."The nice thing about standards
is that there are so many to choose from"????

;-)
-Sue Gallagher

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com