Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:02:36 -0400 (EDT)

In my experience, companies almost always ask the job
candidate what s/he expects. Asking this question
seems to serve two purposes:

1. Many managers want to pay you the least they can.
This is not always because they're cheap buggers; it
reduces their risk and gives them more room for future
pay increases for you.
2. How you respond to the question can be
illuminating; how highly do you think of yourself? Too
highly? Not very? Are you way out of their range?

Don't be shy about asking for the range the position
*typically* pays, or the approximate range. Don't
paint yourself into a corner by asking what the range
*is.* That way, you can ask for more than the top end,
and they may come back close to the top, especially if
you've indicated you're flexible and would like to
work there.

The book What Color is Your Parachute has excellent
advice about negotiating salary. Most important -
never discuss salary and benefits until they have
indicated they want you.

A final word: Our 100+ person software development
company is currently looking for a CFO. At a company
meeting, the owner/CEO announced that candidates whose
primary concern was "What's in it for me," or "How
much can I make?" would be immediately disqualified.

All the best,
Brian

PS - Thanks for saying what you did, Arroxane. :-)

--- Glen Blair <glen -dot- blair -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> If I ask for a salary that's 10% above the top limit
> of the company's
> range and offer a substantial rationale for the
> extra dough, am I
> seriously endangering my chances of getting the job?
> Or is that more
> contingent on my personal ability to sell the hiring
> rep. on my
> skills?
>
> Also, in these situations is it more likely that the
> company will make
> its offer first and give me the opportunity for
> rebuttal? Or are they
> more likely to ask me what I think I deserve/what
> I'm worth and then
> make a counter-offer?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com