Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:15:07 -0700

The economy being what it is, it's becoming more and more
common for companies to come right out and ask you want
you're looking for and expect actual numbers in reply. My most recent reply went something like, "I evaluate the salary
component of any offer in relation to the rest of the total
compensation, but generally I would say that any amount over xxxx would be a starting point for negotiation. How
does that compare to your range for this position?" Yes,
you need to figure out what xxxx is, but offhand I think that
even those who aren't sure what a "reasonable" offer would
be have a fairly clear idea what what amount they'd refuse
flat out. I never have a problem telling a prospective employer
what I *won't* take; if the company's bottom line is so low
that they can't even start negotiating in my range, my preference
would be to find out and end the discussion as quickly as
possible so I don't waste any more of my time.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>

In *any* negotiation, the party that first proposes a number
(either as an offer or as a demand) is at a disadvantage. It can
be pretty amusing to watch the maneuvers that people use
to avoid being the first to state a concrete number.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com