Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:00:37 -0400

Just to take this down a tangent. You have said a couple things on the
list in this and other threads that make me want to caution you about
something that's
normal in high tech, but not so much in other worlds.

First, you had mentioned a contract you were working. Out-and-out 1099
contracting
is one world. Working as an employee of the company where you do the work is a
second world. And working as an employee of a contracting firm that
places you at
a third party is a third world.

And if the situation is the latter, be really careful when negotiating
your rate and
situation. Because the contracting firm will not carry you as an
employee more than
five or ten minutes longer than their deal with the third party lasts.
So don't accept the
same salary rate that you would if you were working directly for the
employer... you need
more cushion.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com