salary for entry level position ...

Subject: salary for entry level position ...
From: "Mike Kobi" <kobi266 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:29:58 -0700

I've been reading the posts for this and just had to reply!

I was a technical recruiter for 9 years . Prior to that, I worked 15 years in large corporations as a programmer, system analyst, and PM.

The first thing I learning as a recruiter was that the goal of every interview with a company of interest (besides getting information) is for the candidate to get a job offer. You can't do anything until you have at least a verbal offer of some kind. Of course, the firm I was working with at the time was pushing for candidates to get an offer because it was in their best interest as far as commission but this general approach is not bad and should be a goal of every candidate interested in working for a company.

When a potential employer first asks you how much salary you're looking for, one response that I have had many of my candidates use was, I will entertain the best possible offer presented to me based on my background, experience and potential'. A reply of that nature is much better than stating numbers as many have mentioned. Of course many employers will come right back and say, 'yes, but we have to have an idea of salary'. Still you have made an important statement that lets the employer know that you are aware of the relationship between the positions salary and your background/potential in the current market.

If it is the first job, as one reader stated, as long as the salary supports your living expenses then it is a valuable work opportunity and a golden chance to get paid experience. Hit the place running, ask questions, get to know everyone and go above and beyond the requirements of the job. Whether you stay there or move on - the money will come sooner than later.

There's a lot more that can be said about all this - much more than I can write now but those are just some general thoughts that come to mind.

I'm actually taking an entry level TW postiion myself to help improve my skills on a daily basis as a writer using DTP tools. I'm also considering it as a a possible career change since I enjoy writing more than recruiting !

Have a great day everyone! Mike

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com