TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
You received this message because you're a subscriber to
TECHWR-L. This ad posting is sent daily directly to all
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).
In this posting, look for the following ...
* JOB: Technical Publications Writer #58024 - Manchester, NH (NEW)
* TRAINING: Enjoy a Special Discount on UCLA Extension Online
Technical Communication Courses This Fall
* ANNOUNCE: Adobe's just-released FrameMaker 7.2 Showing at
The FrameMaker 2005 Chautauqua
* ANNOUNCE: New! WebWorks OnTime: On-Demand,
Custom ePublishing Service
and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.
* Design and task-oriented tutorials that may be delivered as printed or
online documentation for users of architectural design software.
* Responsible for managing own individual assignments. Will work with
project lead to develop task list and deliver work according to schedule.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
* Does the research required to obtain information for tutorials.
* Writes, updates, and verifies assigned tutorials.
* Creates screen shots, illustrations and animations as needed.
* Manages media required to illustrate written content.
* Submits work for review and enters revisions.
* Participates in team meetings and contributes to the establishment of
improved documentation processes.
* Researches and analyzes users? information requirements, and designs
information products to meet those needs.
* Acquires an overall knowledge of the product(s) line responsibilities
and an understanding of how they relate to the entire product line.
* Bachelors degree or equivalent in communication field.
* 4 or more years experience in technical writing (software environment),
with background in development of training materials highly desirable.
* Strong knowledge of FrameMaker preferred.
* Excellent writing skills; demonstrated command of the English language.
* Capacity to work both independently and in a team.
* Skill in researching, organizing, and presenting technical information.
* Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment, to meet deadlines,
and to work under pressure.
* Excellent organization and time management skills.
* Background in CAD or architecture a plus.
* Knowledge of XML and content management system experience a plus.
Autodesk provides one of the most exceptional compensation and benefit
packages. If you are an extraordinary person who strives for excellence,
please apply at http://www.autodesk.com/careers - Job 58024. Autodesk is
proud to be an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse
TRAINING: Enjoy a Special Discount on UCLA Extension
Online Technical Communication Courses This Fall
Renew your professional skills this fall from the comfort of your home or
office. UCLA Extension's fall quarter begins September 24, and courses are
filling fast There's still time to enroll by visiting
As an STC member, you are entitled to a special $50 discount on all
Technical Communication courses, including:
Introduction to Policies and Procedures Communications
Introduction to Project Management
UCLA Extension limits enrollment in its virtual classrooms, so students
benefit from the instructor's full attention. Join the more than 45,000
students from around the world who have studied with UCLA Extension
online. And be sure to take advantage of your $50 discount as an STC
For more information about Technical Communication courses online, visit
uclaextension.edu/online_tech_com or contact Helen Williams at
hwilliam -at- uclaextension -dot- edu or (310) 825-7729.
ANNOUNCE: Adobe's just-released FrameMaker 7.2 Showing at
The FrameMaker 2005 Chautauqua
Adobe has just announced FrameMaker 7.2. This new release has features
beneficial to regular FrameMaker and Structured FrameMaker users! From
multiple undo to more XML support to interface enhancements, this version
is worth considering.
Come and try this version hands-on, and talk with Adobe as well as some
early users, at the upcoming FrameMaker conference: the FrameMaker 2005
Chautauqua. You'll use almost all of your senses:
- HEAR about the new features and benefits
- TALK with Adobe's FrameMaker staff and ask them your questions
- TOUCH the product hands on
- SEE a presentation of new features in 7.2
And technically you can SMELL and TASTE the wonderful food at lunch and
talk about network!
FrameMaker 2005 Chautauqua (conference)
November 7-9, 2005
Raleigh, NC USA
(North Carolina State University's McKimmon Conference Center)
2 regular presentation tracks, 1 hands-on presentation track
$695 for three full days of conference and activities, plus free tools
Contact the conference coordinator for more details:
Bright Path Solutions
kethier -at- travelthepath -dot- com
THANK YOU to our sponsors, including Platinum Sponsor SIBERLOGIC
(http://www.siberlogic.com) and exhibitors Quadralay, Idiom Technologies
Inc., and Vasont.
PS-If you noticed there are 6 senses above, and you took the time to sort
out which was not a sense (TALK, which is not a sense, though TASTE is),
then use that TALK "non-sense" as your DISCOUNT code when you register for
the conference. You will receive a $50 discount off the $695 (or current)
registration rate. Register online at http://www.travelthepath.com/confreg.html .
Oh, and if you did have a 6th sense, you would have realized FrameMaker
was coming and registered for the conference already. :-)
ANNOUNCE: New! WebWorks OnTime: On-Demand, Custom ePublishing
For the first time, WebWorks Services is offering Quadralay
Corporation's content conversion expertise to work directly on
your project, to produce your online content directly from your
Word documents, FrameMaker books, or XML content. No training, no
tools, no learning curve, and you can have your documents converted
to virtually any format, customized to your specifications.*
With over 11 years of content conversion experience, we are able to
put on-demand ePublishing within reach of any organization, small
or large. Our Basic Plan for Word or FrameMaker starts at just $99
for up to 1000 pages!
Add localization to your OnTime order to make the most of your
on-demand ePublishing investment. WebWorks OnTime offers expert
translation of your content into one or multiple languages.**
For more information, visit www.webworks.com/ontime or contact an
OnTime Service Representative at 512.719.3399 ext.503
*Certain terms and conditions apply. See Web site for details.
**Translations provided by Adams Globalization.
These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.
For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Lisa
(lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/postad.html.