Re: Need help creating a check box in word

Subject: Re: Need help creating a check box in word
From: Stuart Gibbons <stugib -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:14:47 +0100

On 05/10/05, ayana -at- ayanaglaze -dot- com <ayana -at- ayanaglaze -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm creating a simple table in word as part of a template. One of the
> fields contains a check box. How do I create an editable checkbox in
> Word? Please advise.
>
> Thanks,

This is how I do it, though it might not meet your requirements:

1. Turn on your Forms toolbar (right click on another toolbar, select
from list).
2. There's a checkbox button on the toolbar. Position your cursor in
the table and click the checkbox button. This will insert a checkbox.
3. Click the padlock button on the Forms toolbar. This will lock the
form, disabling normal text and changing form controls into editable
fields.
4. Save the template.

A gotcha: all normal text is set as read-only as soon as you click the
padlock button. If your template contains other areas users have to
type into you'll need to add text fields to the template in the same
way as the template. People can't just type in new text to documents
created from the template.

There's also a checkbox on the Control Toolbox toolbar, but although
you can insert it into the document, I don't know enough about this
feature to know what to do with it next! I thought it was just for
creating UIs in VBA.

Stuart

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com