Re: Internal Documentation Web site

Subject: Re: Internal Documentation Web site
From: Jenn Wilson <jenn -at- mylar -dot- outflux -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, Ashaki! I'll toss out a few extra "pros" for consideration:

In my experience, the network-folder approach can work for a smallish group over a short period of time, especially when the group is close-knit. However, if the team grows and the projects become larger and more diverse, entropy eventually sets in, which doesn't serve anyone. Having a centralized resource will help position your team for growth and make it easy to get new members up to speed.

(You might be able to back up this argument with your own experiences. It sounds like you joined this group fairly recently. How easy was it for you to find the info scattered among these network folders?)

Making a website the definitive "place to be" will help ensure that a standard is met and maintained for this information, and therefore help ensure the quality and consistency of the team's work.

If there's not already some kind of standards structure in place, this could be an opportunity to set up a committee or focus group... and this, along with maintaining the website itself, could result in some great professional growth opportunity for you and other team members.

Lastly, depending on how your team and company are situated, a website could make it easier to support and unify writers who work off-site or in different offices.

Jenn

Cons
- Possibly inaccessible if server is down
- Need to contact member outside TW team every time an update is needed
to the site (I can create the site, but I don't have privileges to
publish to the server.)

Pros
- Serves as a training tool for writers
- Information in one central place oppose to being scattered across
network folders
- Quick access to Web resources

Please feel free to add to either list (preferably, the Pros list :).

Thanks,
Ashaki

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com