Re: RFP Machine from PragmaTech

Subject: Re: RFP Machine from PragmaTech
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:58:58 -0400

Rebecca Hopkins wrote:

Folks,

Anybody use RFP Machine from PragmaTech, or its competitors? Any opinions?

Yes, but not recently.

The Mkt'ing dept is looking to buy that, or something like it, and I have never written an RFP in my life.

The software you are talking about does not help you WRITE an RFP. Its purpose is to help you write RESPONSES to multiple similar RFPs. There are industries in which RFPs are largely standardized. That is, virtually all purchasers in the industry want the same kinds of information from vendors and ask for it in fairly standard ways. If that is your situation, the RFP Machine may possibly be suitable. If you receive RFPs from a variety of industries, my experience with the software was that it was not at all helpful. I could crank out the responses faster relying on my own memory than using the tool.

I assume there have been usability improvements since the dreadful version I used, but I doubt that any such improvements can overcome the basic problem described above.

Check the archives for a more detailed description of the problems I encountered with the PragmaTech software.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com