Re: Need Advice on Online Authoring Tools

Subject: Re: Need Advice on Online Authoring Tools
From: Brian Gordon <elasticsoul2003 -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:19:05 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Sharlyn,

I believe that the future of both RoboHelp and Frame
is in question.

I use AuthorIT (AIT), and quite like it. AIT can
publish in various formats, including PDF, HTML Help,
and Word. So far, I have experienced zero rework
post-publish, though I know others with unusual
situations have had to do some. (These same people
also had rework when they used other products,
including Frame or RH).

AIT stores its (your) content in a database; you stack
individual topics in a book in the order desired. You
can specify that certain topics appear in HTML Help
but not PDF, and so on. Topics can be anything from a
word to many pages of text, tables, graphics, etc.
Check out their website....

All the best,
Brian

--- Sharlyn Dimick <sharlyn -at- mrddsolutions -dot- com> wrote:

> I recently took a position with a small software
> company who has no documentation for their software
> at all. They would like to create printed guides for
> their product as well as include online help with in
> the product (currently programmed in Visual Studio
> and moving to Visual Studio.Net). My initial plan is
> to create the printed version in FrameMaker and then
> convert it to Help using either WebWorks or RoboHelp
> (or something else). I wondered if anyone else out
> there is using a similar system? If so, is there a
> lot of tweaking that has to be done once the doc is
> converted from Frame to the Help environment? Our
> developers plan to have a new release every three
> months or so. I want to select the most seamless
> solution so that I don't have to do a lot of
> re-work. The other idea we've discussed is to do all
> the authoring in the Help tool and then push out a
> PDF from that tool. Any thought on the pros and cons
> of that? Any advice you have would be helpful!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com