RE: "New Media"

Subject: RE: "New Media"
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:22:34 -0400

On the topic of getting people to review docs via some
technological path or another, Greg Holmes
[mailto:greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com] tried:

> I tried "post to a URL for review" maybe five years ago, I
> think (no blog commenting facility, of course). People just
> didn't "get" it. They wouldn't get in the habit of going to
> look, and if I had to hound them by email, it wasn't really
> much of an improvement.
>
> There's something about the:
>
> * immediacy of email, and
> * persistence of email - it just sits there in your Inbox until
> you deal with it
>
> that I haven't been able to beat yet. Maybe the blog
> method would work better, or maybe in a tech company
> (or *young* company) staffed with blog aficionados ...

I'm not a real blog aficionado -- as somebody else described,
I read what I'm pointed to, and maybe I'll get hooked
and read some more in somebody's blog...spend a half hour
or three, reading whatever else they (or their readers)
had to say. But then I stop for supper and I don't go
back.

Even a person who IS a real blog aficionado will keep
going back to a blog because they are attracted or
rewarded by the content, not the fact that it's a blog,
per se.

So, there's the rub. Neither I nor a blogging aficionado
is going to eagerly keep returning to a blog about
reviewing some tech-writer's latest document. If I'm a
subject-matter expert, the "lay" version is boring to me.
I'm far ahead, in architecting and coding the product for
upcoming versions. "Whatsa behind me, isa _not_ important!"

If I've got a review copy in front of me, and a deadline
to bring comments to a meeting, or whatever, I'll maybe
buckle down and do the dirty job.... although, if I'm like
too many SMEs, I'll expend far too much time and effort
on commas and style, and not enough on spotting technical
errors or suggesting substantive inprovements. And that
won't change one whit, if the format happens to be bloggish.

Actually, if I'm most reviewers, I'll prefer a red pen and
hard copy.

Am I wrong, or am I wrong? :-)

Kevin (who doesn't even have a personal web site, yet, let alone a blog)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com