Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)

Subject: Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:58:03 -0400

Sarah Stegall said...

> I plan to get another PDA soon, one with MP3 capability so I can
listen to
> it at work and mask the noise from the talker in the next cubicle.
> Sarah

I lucked into a "real" office with a closeable door a few months ago
(had this arrangement since August) but I always knew it was a temporary
respite. In November a new manager (a recently-created position) will
begin work in the larger department in which our writing team is
embedded, and it will be back to cubicle land for me--right into an area
populated by commercial sales reps that do most of their work on the
phone.

What do most writers who have to compete with "animated" phone
conversations in the work environment do to compete with the noise? Are
headphones now generally considered "acceptable" accoutrements for the
writer in a cubicle environment? I'm hoping I'll be allowed to wear some
headphones so I can listen to "white noise" or "ambient" soundtracks to
drown the conversations, and if I get any resistance to my request it
would be nice to know what others are doing.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com