RE: Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)

Subject: RE: Cubicle Noise Canceling (WAS: A PDA in every pocket?)
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 14:50:56 -0400

Now you've heard of headphones being unacceptable. Be forewarned, what seems sensible or common in one work environment may be taboo in another. In many cases, using headphones and asking forgiveness if "caught" may be adequate. Some places could have more severe consequences. Probably if you see others using headphones, it is okay. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd try it without asking first.

One of my employers just flat wouldn't let people use headphones. At that location, we had far too many potential customers walking through and they wanted to maintain a professional atmosphere. Oh, did I mention the company was owned by a elderly man who had a rather hard-nosed work ethic.

Lastly, in some facilities, wearing headphones is a safety issue for some workers. Sometime management figures because those workers cannot wear headphones, nobody can. Some managers are that way.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com