re: Using Wikipedia as an "authoritative" source

Subject: re: Using Wikipedia as an "authoritative" source
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but has anyone actually said that Wikipedia was an authoritative source on any topic? Sure, people have said that they use it, but has anyone said that Wikipedia is their ONLY source of information and that they trust it 100%?

If not, why all the arguements about Wikipedia not being authoritative? Isn't that a straw man? Unless, of course, the assertion is that all information sources must be authoritative, which is great if authoritative meant that the information is 100% accurate and unbiased. If that is the criteria, I've never seen an authoritative source. I've only seen ones that had the money, influence, weapons, or reputation to fake it. ;-)

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com