RE: RoboHelp 9.1 - Upgradable to X5? Flare?

Subject: RE: RoboHelp 9.1 - Upgradable to X5? Flare?
From: "Clare Turner" <cturner -at- redflex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:14:03 -0700

I have no interest in being "fair" to Macromedia. I found their support
for Robohelp to be very unprofessional. I speak from personal, and
recent, experience. I recently purchased Robo and had extensive problems
installing it. I spent three days on the phone with Macromedia, who
provided little support and basically "shrugged their shoulders"
regarding my problems. Their consistent answer was that the problem was
somewhere else (not in their app). They even went so far as to
pointedly tell me that "this was an acquired application, and as such,
they had limited knowledge and could provide only limited help". I was
unimpressed.

The irony is that the solution to the problem was fairly simple, which
did not improve my disposition after three days of frustration with MM.
When we finally figured out the problem (I say we bacause this was only
solved by my continually following up on phone calls THEY did not follow
up on, despite their promises to do so), I suggested that this simple
issue be addressed in some way on their website (in association with
downloading Robo), and was told that "this isn't a big enough problem to
warrant that".

So, yes, Macromedia is "selling" Robohelp. And, TECHNICALLY, they are
"providing support". I suppose the problem here is in how one defines
"support". Being told by a major software company that the s/w you just
purchased was "acquired" by them and therefore not their problem, is not
my definition of support.

Clare Turner, Technical Writer
Redflex Traffic Systems, Inc.
15020 N. 74th St.