Re: Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control

Subject: Re: Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control
From: Zbyszek Cybulski <z -dot- cybulski -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:52:39 +0200

I don't agree with your opinion. A VSS database administrator can
grant users the access to projects/files in the database. This is how
it works in my team. There are users who can get the source files but
cannot modify or delete them. The others can modify but cannot delete
files or modify projects. And, of course, there are the projects
owners who have the full privileges.

-Z

On 10/25/05, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> The biggest problem with VSS and similar *version* control databases
> like CVS is the lack of user-level access control. Everyone who has
> access to the files contained in these has the ability to change or delete
> all the files, as opposed to a true document/source control system
> that can be set to grant different users different levels of access to
> specific
> data.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com